I will not testify until Jonathan appears in court, Metuh declares

I will not testify until Jonathan appears in court, Metuh declares

 

A former national publicity cecretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olisa Metuh, has insisted he will not testify or call any other witness in his trial until former President Goodluck Jonathan, whom he has asked the court to issue a summons, testifies as his witness.

He told Justice Okon Abang, of the Federal High Court, that whatever further steps he would take in the defence of his case, will largely depend on what Jonathan would tell the court, in respect of the case.

His position was conveyed to the court through his counsel, Mr. Emeka Etiaba (SAN), and the counsel representing his company — Destra Investments Limited — Mr. Tochukwu Onwugbufor (SAN).

However, Justice Abang who dismissed the submission as unknown to law, yesterday ordered ordered Metuh would continue his defence today, while the court bailiff would make another attempt to serve Jonathan on December 11.

“Whether a party will call a witness or not cannot be predicated on the evidence of a witness yet to be called,” Justice Abang ruled again, yesterday.

Not satisfied with the ruling of the court, Etiaba said he would appeal against the judge’s decisions.

Meanwhile, the prosecution counsel, Sylvanus Tahir, accused Metuh of using the subpoena on Jonathan as a ploy to arm-twist the court and delay the trial.

He further accused Metuh of playing a game of chess by indulging in hide and seek, thereby keeping the court guessing as to whether or not he has lined up other witnesses to testify in the case other than Jonathan.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had alleged in some of the seven counts preferred against Metuh and his company, Destra Investments Limited, that the ex-PDP spokesperson fraudulently received the sum of N400 million from Office of the National Security Adviser without any justification and spent the funds on the party’s and personal affairs.

Metuh was also accused of transacting with $2 million cash said to be above the threshold of cash payments prescribed by the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act.

But Metuh had insisted that both the then NSA, Sambo Dasuki, who released the sum of N400 million and, and Jonathan, who allegedly authorised the payment, were required to testify in the case.

While Dasuki eventually testified in the case, the court bailiff had so far been unable to serve Jonathan personally.

On Monday, while ordering the court bailiff to make another attempt to serve Jonathan with the witness summons, the judge insisted that the trial must continue with Metuh either testifying himself or calling another witness other than the former President as his next witness.

The judge then fixed Tuesday for continuation of trial.

But at the resumed hearing on Tuesday, Metuh’s lawyer, Etiaba, insisted that Metuh still wanted Jonathan to first testify before deciding on whether or not the defendant would personally testify in the case.

 

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.





X